Last updated on December 1, 2021
Alberta has specific privacy legislation for organizations operating in the private sector and public sector, as well as health specific legislation for health service providers. Other provinces with specific health legislation include Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario.
Alberta also has specific privacy regulation for personal driving and motor vehicle related information.
The Office of the Information and Privacy Commisioner of Alberta enforces FOIP, HIA, PIPA, and AMVIR. The information and privacy commissioner is Jill Clayton.
Public Sector Legislation
Alberta’s public sector privacy legislation is the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP). Also, read regulation 186/2008 and 56/2009.
For example, FOIP will apply to:
- Educational bodies (universities, technical institutes, colleges, school boards and charter schools),
- health care bodies (Regional Health Authorities, provincial health boards, nursing home operators, hospital boards and subsidiary health corporations),
- local government bodies (municipalities, Metis settlements, police services and commissions, libraries, etc),
- any department, branch or office of the government of Alberta, and
- any agency, board, commission, corporation , office or other body designated as a public body in the FOIP regulations listed above
Private Sector Legislation
Alberta’s private sector privacy legislation is the Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA), and has been deemed to be substantially similar to Canada’s federal privacy legislation, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA). Also, read regulation 366/2003.
For example, PIPA will apply to:
- Corporations, partnerships, non-profit organizations,
- private schools, trade unions,
- professional regulatory associations, unincorporated associations, and
- any individual acting in a commercial capacity or on behalf of a corporation, unincorporated association, trade union or partnership.
Health Specific Legislation
Motor Vehicle Specific Legislation
Alberta’s motor vehicle specific privacy legislation is the Access to Motor Vehicle Information Regulation.